- Not registered yet?
- To attend meetings, you need to register as a civil society organisation.
Ad hoc meeting - Cultural Cooperation Protocol in EU Trade Agreements
If you wish to register to this meeting please identify yourself with login and password.
- Date: 19/02/2008, 15.00 - 17.30 (registration closed)
- Location: Berlaymont building, room Jean Monnet, 200 rue de la Loi, 1040 Brussels
The purpose of the meeting is to inform civil society on the progress made in implementing the UNESCO Convention on Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions by introducing the Cultural Cooperation Protocol into trade agreements, including into the initialled Economic Partnership Agreement with Cariforum.
Mr Julien Guerrier, Deputy Head of Unit for Services and Investments
Ms Maria Koidu, DG for External Trade
Ms Valerie Panis, DG for Education and Culture
Mr Gianpaolo Scacco, Audiovisual and Media Policies, DG Information society and media
Moderator: Ms Manuela Géleng, Civil Society Dialogue Coordinator, DG Trade
1. General Introduction – UNESCO Convention and plans for its implementation : Mr Julien Guerrier, Ms Valerie Panis
2. The Cultural Cooperation Protocol with CARIFORUM, Mr Julien Guerrier
3. The Cultural Cooperation Protocol in other EU agreements
The UNESCO Convention on Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions, entered into force in March 2007, EC and most of its Members States having ratified it. The Convention foresees that countries have to promote cultural diversity and this should be also reflected in their international agreements and in the implementation of such international agreements. Without prejudice to the fact that UNESCO guidelines are being elaborated, the EU has drafted a model Protocol on Cultural Cooperation to be included in future trade agreements. The negotiation of the first of these trade agreements taking into account the UNESCO Convention, has been successfully concluded between the EU and CARIFORUM, creating binding commitments for 47 countries to develop cultural cooperation among themselves.
Co-production of audiovisual works in the draft Protocol on Cultural Cooperation, attached to the EU-Korea Free Trade Agreement
Date: 26/01/2009, 14.00-16.00
Location: Berlaymont, 200 rue de la Loi, 1040 Brussels
Mr Petros Sourmelis, Head of Unit for Services and Investments and Daniel Giorev of Directorate-general for Trade
Ms Valerie Panis, Directorate-general for Education and Culture,
Mr Gianpaolo Scacco, Directorate-general for Information Society
The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the meaning and implications of the Protocol on Cultural Cooperation in EU's negotiations of a Free Trade Agreement with Korea and present Commission's position on the criteria to be listed in this Protocol under which European-Korean audio-visual co-productions would on a reciprocal basis qualify as European and Korean works respectively in accordance with the legislation in place in the partners' countries.
1. Presentation by the Commission
Background documentation to the Cultural Cooperation Protocol with Korea, attendance list and follow-up Concept Paper on Cultural Cooperation Protocol with Korea can be found under the following links:
1. Background Protocol on Cultural Cooperation with Korea. 26/01/2009
2. Participation list Protocol on Cultural Cooperation with Korea. 26/01/2009
3. Concept Paper Cultural Cooperation Protocol with Korea. 18/02/2009
Please note that DG TRADE has installed a new travel system. For further details click here.
- Mr Jürgen Bänsch, ISFE - Representing the European Videogame Industry
- Mr Ferdinando Didonna, Espacio Latino Americano
- Ms Anna Maria Heidenreich, Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag e.V.
- Mrs Luz Elena Iturralde, Espacio Latino Americano
- Ms Marine LANDAIS, EUROCINEMA, Association de producteurs de cinéma et de télévision
- Mr Marc Maes, Koepel van de Vlaamse Noord-Zuidbeweging - 11.11.11
- Ms Eva Majuntke, ARD-Verbindungsbüro Brüssel
- Mrs Ginevra Rossignolo, Representative Office of Veneto Region (RVE)
- Mrs Ana Segui, Espacio Latino Americano
- Mr Yvon THIEC, EUROCINEMA, Association de producteurs de cinéma et de télévision
- Ms Christina Wührer, Austrian Federal Economic Chamber