The Future of Textiles and Clothing after 2005
- Policy field: Trade
- Target group: All interested parties
- Closing Date: Completed - 25/04/2003
Objective of the consultation
On 5-6 May 2003, Pascal Lamy will host a major conference in Brussels on "The Future of Textiles and Clothing Trade after 2005". In preparation, the European Commission has launched an open consultation on the future of textiles trade policy. Through a dedicated internet forum, interested parties from all over the world can submit their ideas and contributions on trade in textile policies. "In less than two years we shall see the elimination of quota restrictions which have been a feature of world trade in textiles for 40 years. The time is ripe for a fresh, open and thorough analysis of all aspects of textiles trade and we want to hear the views from all interested parties so that we can draw the right conclusions", said Pascal Lamy.
The main questions are:
- Likely impact of quota elimination on developing and industrialised countries: will further adjustments in trade policy be necessary?
- Impact of total quota elimination on sustainable development (environmental and social aspects).
- The relevance of regional groupings and of tariff preferences in the context of further trade liberalisation under the WTO.
- How to ensure fair and equitable trading conditions world-wide.