Economic Partnerships Port-au-Prince, Haiti, 20 March 2012
Helping Haitian businesses prosper: the EU’s aid for trade and the CARIFORUM-EU EPA
In March 2012 over 50 Haitian businesspeople met to find out how to take advantage of the CARIFORUM-EU Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) and the EU’s support for businesses in the country.
The European Commission and the EU Delegation to Haiti organised the seminar in the capital, Port-au-Prince.
Those taking part looked at:
- the agreement's contents;
- ways in which to put the EPA to work for their businesses – by:
* increasing their exports;
* attracting outside investment; and
* thereby driving growth and job creation in Haiti;
- EU financial assistance to help the private sector do just that;
- other tools to help Haitian businesses use the EPA, including the Export Helpdesk.
Participants also learned about the mechanics of exporting their products to the EU, including:
- technical and health and safety standards which they need to meet;
- the EU's rules on what constitute 'Haitian' or 'Caribbean' products (rules of origin);
- the procedures and paperwork involved when exporting to the European market.
Find out more:
What others said
• Media coverage