The European Commission manages at Community level the issue of import authorisations for steel products which are subject to quantitative restrictions applicable for steel products (as contained in Commission Decisions N° 2136/97/ECSC 1, 1401/97/ECSC 2 and 2744/1999/ECSC 3) with the help of an integrated electronic network known as "SIGL" ("Système Intégré de Gestion de Licenses"). SIGL is a computer system linking the European Commission with the departments issuing import authorisations in the Member States.
The information provided on the website is based on the utilisation of the quantitative restrictions (quotas) and will be updated every two yours. The extent to which a steel quota is used is based on the quantity of the goods of a certain category of steel products for which the licensing authorities in the Member States have issued import authorisations and which have been set off against the quantitative limit in question.
The following information will be found on the website:
- per exporting country the amounts used of quantitative limits per quota year,
- per steel category the amounts used of quantitative limits for all relevant exporting countries per quota year;
For every search the following information will be available:
- quota level (= quantitative limit set for a specific quota year),
- working level (= quota level as adjusted following the use of flexibility provisions provided for under the relevant legal texts),
- amount licensed (= amounts of goods for which the licensing authorities in the Member States have issued import authorisations and which have been set off against the quantitative limit in question),
- amount pending (= amounts for which there is no available quota unless or until the working level is adjusted by the use of flexibility provisions),
- utilisation of quota level (%) (= the extent to which the quota level has been utilised),
- utilisation of working level (%) (= the extent to which the working level has been utilised).